Potato Salad Portion Size Per Person – The standard serving size of any vegetable is considered to be 3.5 ounces and the serving size for a starch (potato, pasta, rice) is 3.7 ounces. If potato salad is the only side dish (no other vegetable or starch), you will need a serving size of 6 ounces per person.
How much is a portion of potato salad?
How Much Potato Salad Do You Need Per Person – As previously mentioned, the recommended serving size is one cup or one half of a pound, or ten ounces. However, this may vary especially if there are not many other dishes available. They may consume more than just a cup or half a cup.
- To serve a good event with a staple like creamy potato salad go for the usual double serving for an event.
- Meaning, you should prepare double the serving size per guest.
- If you have 50 people or guests, I suggest to prepare 100 cups of potato salad; if you have 25 guests, prepare 50 cups of potato salad.
Do not forget to have some dill pickles on the side as many people will use them to offset the sweetness of the traditional potato salad. If you like a more tart taste you can serve Caesar Salad for 50 people, How Much Potato Salad Do You Need Per Person
Are potato salads good for you?
Ingredient Note –
- Most potato salads are not healthy to eat, because they are usually made with gobs of mayo and/or sour cream, a high-fat ingredient (and we’re not talking the good kind of fat).
- Greek yogurt offers the same creaminess as mayo, but with the bonus of health benefits, like protein and calcium.
- Greek yogurt also has a nice tang to it compared to mayo, which is more bland. That tang works well in a creamy potato salad dressing.
- Fresh Garlic + Dijon Mustard + Green Onion, Essential zip and a tasty combo with the potatoes and hard-boiled eggs.
- Capers, For brightness and brininess.
- Celery Salt, The secret ingredient! I snagged this tip from my neighbor’s grandmother and will never make a creamy potato salad without it again. It’s savory and a little peppery.
- KOSHER SALT, Potato salad desperately needs to be properly seasoned, or no matter what else you add to it, it will be bland. Salt the potatoes’ cooking liquid, salt the dressing, then taste and salt again as needed just before serving.
- Celery, Let there be crunch!
How many people will 5 lbs potatoes feed?
Serve Mashed Potatoes With –
Instant Pot Turkey Breast Easy Baked Ham Homemade Rotisserie Chicken Instant Pot Pork Chops Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
I hope you enjoy this recipe for the BEST Homemade Mashed Potatoes. Please be sure to leave a comment and rating below.
▢ 3 pounds russet or yukon gold potatoes scrubbed clean ▢ 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt divided ▢ ¾ cup half and half or milk ▢ 3 tablespoons butter unsalted ▢ ½ cup sour cream
- Peel and cube the potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place into a large stock pan and cover with water. Salt the water with 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Bring the potatoes to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender (the chunks should fall apart easily when pieced with a fork.) Drain the potatoes and return to the hot pan. Place over low heat and simmer until all the moisture has evaporated–about 1-2 minutes. Run potatoes through a food mill or ricer or mash with a handheld potato masher until potatoes are smooth. Heat the half and half or milk and butter together in a small saucepan or in the microwave, until the butter is melted. Slowly fold the warm milk into the potatoes and mix until absorbed and creamy. Stir in the sour cream if using and serve.
Is coleslaw healthier than potato salad?
Coleslaw. Even though both coleslaw and potato salad are filled with mayonnaise, Coleslaw is the better choice. Cabbage in coleslaw is dense with sulforaphane, a chemical that boosts your body’s production of enzymes. that fight off cancer.